Elva says everyone with a smartphone is a paparazzo

Dressed in a studded red leather jacket, Taiwanese singer Elva Hsiao waltzed in fashionably late for press event here on Thursday. 

The emcee of the event had earlier apologised that her flight into Singapore was delayed. But the reporters in the room knew that Hsiao had arrived in Singapore earlier in the week - thanks to a fan who had posted on Instagram a shot of Hsiao and her rumoured Singaporean beau wheeling their luggage at Changi Airport. 

Later, Hsiao admitted: "I had flown in earlier, my staff only came in today. My hairstylist and make-up artist only flew in today. Their flight was delayed. I had to wait for them to help me with my hair and make-up." She was speaking to the media in the afternoon, ahead of her performance at a red carpet gala event for Ion Orchard's fifth anniversary celebrations. 

Hsiao, 34, is widely rumoured to be dating a Singaporean man - Elroy Cheo, the brother-in-law of American-born Taiwanese singer Vanness Wu. Media outlets in Hong Kong and Taiwan have published photos of the pair on what appeared to be an intimate date in Hong Kong; one picture showed them locking lips. That may be why she seemed extremely wary of the press here. Although the local press may not be as rabid as some of those in Hong Kong and Taiwan, she is still cautious, she confesses. 

She said in a resigned tone: "I feel that everyone with a smartphone is a paparazzo. They snap a photo with their smartphone and upload it online to their social media account, which is public, and it goes viral. It was like how I got photographed at the airport. "I'm used to people paying attention to my life, but I'm still trying to get used to living naturally under the public eye. I hope people will give me more personal space." 

Source: The Straits Times

---------- Elva Singapore Fansite ----------

No comments: