Elva and Her Composed Life

Many interviews were conducted while the artistes were having their make-up because of the lack of time. But most female artistes would only have eyes for themselves while being interviewed. Elva left a good impression on me because she is one of the few who would converse with me looking at the mirror, even though she had only slept for four hours the day before.

There are many obstacles and stages in life. Perhaps because of all these, life has a meaning. For instance, you could be beautiful and hardworking, but it does not guarantee good luck. With a gorgeous face, recognizable voice, acute fashion sense and sexy body language, Elva was a star when she first started out in 1999.

However, God has his way of making her life “meaningful”. One time she was facing contract woes, the next she was performing on crutches on stage. Elva brushed it off coolly: “Actually I’m quite lucky. I do not care much about these unlucky stuff, there’s still many happier things in life.”
I guess a woman’s complicated appeal is like a thousand layer pie. Rolling it layer by layer, after much experience and realization, they slowly accumulate into an indescribable feeling. Looking at the mirror and saying those words, Elva looked as though she had seen through many things.

A small picture published in a tabloid magazine, although not sensational, it touches everyone. Elva was seen dipping her legs in a pail of ice to cool down her legs that were swollen from too much dance practice. The woman who was once worried that she would not be able to dance anymore and cried on the wheelchair, is fearless now and evermore hardworking. Elva chose to face her weakness head-on: “Because of the injury, my left leg is weaker than my right leg. Although the pressure on my left leg is stronger, I would use my left leg to perform the dance moves to train my weakest spot.” With her sweet image and svelte figure, she can strike any pose and many people would queue up for it. But this is not what she wants, she wants something more.
Elva has had many rumours about her. Graduated from Canada, she has always gave others a westernized and open-minded impression. But she admits that she has not professed to anyone yet and has no confidence that the guy whom she likes will like her too, “Because I absolutely believe that different people like different kinds of people, so initially I would be unconfident. Unless that person drops a lot of hints, I would bravely tell him how I feel about him.”
Off the stage, Elva is actually very shy, and she strongly affirms: “If you want someone not to treat you as a one night stand partner, you should treat yourself better, love yourself and respect yourself.” She said that when she first heard her mother saying that, she would roll her eyes because she felt that her thinking was so old school, but after seeing her friends, who had returned from overseas, fail in their relationships, she finally realized that it is so true, “If we were to go out as a group, I would rather be the least sexiest amongst the group. Because I hope that guys would use their brains to know me and not using their lower half of their body.”

She further explained that rather than praising her sexy, she prefers people to say that she has character. She is not the kind of woman who would use her appeal as a weapon. Instead, she hopes that guys would date her not to fulfill their fantasy, but to really get to know her, and like the real her.

“I like guys with a warm smile, has his own lifestyle. Also, he should be a little chauvinistic, giving in to me but not listening to what I say completely…” Her concept about love is straight forward; fall in love when the feeling is right, and love like there’s no tomorrow: “Before falling in love, I would be like a little boy, but after being in a relationship, I would become a demure woman.”

Having faced many obstacles at work and in love, Elva had left her work behind for a year to live with her boyfriend in New York, “After being in a relationship, I would sacrifice my hobbies, interests and time to accept all his flaws. Even if he is impatient, I would feel that he is so man! When the love bubble bursts, I would then wake up.” Silly yet courageous, throwing away all rationality, this is the courage only a woman in love would have. But dating Elva is definitely exciting. The process is like opening a present filled with surprises.
To project a courageous and sexy image, Elva tried an androgynous look. Interestingly, her manly image has both feelings of Man and cuteness. The appeal is so strong that it could nearly win that of the female Elva! After the shoot, Elva playfully suggested everyone to wear the male wig. Perhaps entering the showbiz is like Eve biting into an apple, having to face the different temptations in this complicated world. But the Elva we see is a happy woman. Leaving the Garden of Eden, she has become stronger.

---------- Elva Singapore Fansite ----------

No comments: